Monday, February 9, 2009

Black Velvet


Our "Black Velvet" cake and cupcake flavor has been getting a lot of attention lately, so I thought I'd share the story with you. I discovered this beauty after a client asked us to make red velvet cupcakes for her wedding. I scoured recipes and set out on a mission to create the most amazing red velvet cake ever. Now, I'd eaten plenty of red velvet cake and I always had one complaint. There was so much food coloring in the mix that my mouth would turn a shade of red. Not wanting to inflict this on anyone, I was determined to create a cake that would not stain your mouth. I also wanted a super chocolaty cake and most recipes called for a measly few tablespoons of cocoa powder.


And not all cocoa powders are created equal (more on that in a later post). We use Valrhona cocoa powder and lots of it! So in short, our Black Velvet cake is based on a traditional red velvet recipe, but contains around 1/2 the amount of coloring and twice the amount of cocoa. It's become our best seller and I think you'll like it too! As you can see, the cake has a nice bordeaux color, but since Bordeaux Velvet didn't sound quite as appealing, we settled on Black Velvet.

Oh yeah, we always using Cream Cheese Icing for this cake. Mmmmm...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails